Denouncing Serbian Tilt, U.S. Boycotts U.N. Meeting By Rick Gladstone, The New York Times 10 April 2013
The United States boycotted a United Nations General Assembly meeting on Wednesday, organized by the former Serbian foreign minister who is the body’s current president, that in theory was about the role of international criminal justice but appeared to be a thinly disguised Serb complaint forum about the war-crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
Canada and Jordan joined the United States in the boycott of the two-day meeting, which included a General Assembly debate and panel discussion, while some other nations also criticized the meeting and sent low-level representatives. The event seemed to reopen emotional scabs about responsibility for ethnic slaughters committed in the Balkans conflicts of the 1990s, including the Srebrenica massacre, Europe’s worst mass killing since the Holocaust. (read more)
Hague: 2 Serb Police Chiefs Convicted By Marlise Simons 27 March 2013
The Yugoslav war crimes tribunal on Wednesday convicted two Bosnian Serb police chiefs for participating in a violent ethnic cleansing campaign that aimed to drive non-Serbs from their homes in 20 municipalities of Bosnia during the war of early 1990s. The two, Mico Stanisic and Stojan Zuplanin, were each handed a 22-year prison sentence. The verdicts underscored the crucial roles played by the police and armed militia in the notorious persecution of Croats and Muslims, many of whom were beaten, tortured, raped or otherwise abused in as many as 50 wartime detention centers run by Bosnian Serbs. The judges said that many civilians were killed or died from hunger, illness and mistreatment during the campaign to create zones for Serbs only in Bosnia.
Court Overturns War Crimes Conviction of Former Chief of Yugoslav Army By Marlise Simons, New York Times 28 February 2013
PARIS — A United Nations appeals court on Thursday unexpectedly overturned the war crimes conviction of the former Yugoslav Army chief who had been sentenced to 27 years for aiding and abetting atrocities in Bosnia and Croatia, including attacks on Sarajevo and Srebrenica.
The judges, voting 4 to 1, acquitted the former chief, Gen. Momcilo Perisic, of all charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity, including murder, and ordered him released.
General Perisic, who surrendered to the court in 2005, was expected to return Friday to Serbia, where officials welcomed the decision. Reports from Bosnia said victims’ groups were stunned. (read more)
Gen. Momcilo Perisic of Yugoslavia in 1998. (New York Times)
Tomislav Nikolic has said Serbs did not commit genocide in Srebrenica and he sees no need to make a memorial visit. Photograph: Andrej Isakovic/AFP/Getty
Serbian president denies Srebrenica genocide
By Reuters in Sarajevo
2 June 2012
Serbis’s new president has denied genocide took place in Srebrencia, contradicting the international criminal prosecution of Serbian leaders from the Yugoslav wars and angering the Muslim co-president of Bosnia.
Tomislav Nikolic, the rightwinger elected as Serbian president last month, said on Montenegrin television: "There was no genocide in Srebrenica. In Srebrenica, grave war crimes were committed by some Serbs who should be found, prosecuted and punished.
"It is very difficult to indict someone and prove before a court that an event qualifies as genocide." (read more)